NEED THE EXTRA ROOM AND STILL WANT PERFORMANCE AND STYLING? CONSIDER AN EXTRA LARGE BICYCLE HELMET
If you have a head circumference above 61 cm or have a hat size above 7-3/4, you should be looking for an XL / XXL / XXXL bicycle helmet. As bicycle helmet designs have evolved, more choices for larger helmet sizes have come along. More XL bicycle helmets (and XXL bicycle helmets) now offer you more chances to find an extra large helmet that fits you comfortably and looks good on your head. SportsProtective has assembled a great selection of extra large helmets, so it's easy to find one that's suitable for mountain biking, road cycling, or commuting to work. Be sure to measure your head, and chose the "XL" size option for a lid that fits. (FYI - for a bicycle helmet to be considered "extra large", we look for helmets that fit a head circumference of 61cm or more.)
WHAT SIZE HEAD DOES AN XL BIKE HELMET FIT?
Helmet sizes generally follow these guidelines:
- Small size helmets are typically those 53 cm and smaller (6 5/8 hat size)
- Medium size helmets are generally 54-56 cm (6 3/4 hat size)
- Large size helmets are generally 57-60 cm (7 1/4 hat size)
- Extra large helmets are typically those 61 cm and above (7 3/4 hat size and above)
HOW TO MAKE AN XL BIKE HELMET FIT PROPERLY
One of the problems many people encounter with an extra large helmet is how it sits on their head. Often, an XL helmet perches on top of your head, leaving the sides relatively unprotected and making you feel that you’re wearing a huge dome on your head. There are a couple of ways to combat this problem:
- Just about every helmet comes with fit pads. Remove the fit pads on the top of the helmet so that it sits a bit lower on your head
- Buy a slightly larger helmet and use the thicker fit pads on the sides to give you a snug fit
- Some bike helmets, particularly those marketed as mountain biking helmets, have additional side protection.
- Depending on what kind of biking you do, consider switching to a skate-style helmet (the trade-off will be a helmet with less ventilation). However, make sure that any helmet you use for biking is CPSC certified.
SHOP NOW FOR A GREAT FITTING EXTRA LARGE HELMET
As the original protective gear store serving the biking community since 2004, we take great pride in our products and the work we do to ensure that all of our customers are pleased with their choices. We only sell what we have in stock so that you won't have to wait to begin enjoying what you love to do, be it mountain biking, BMX, skiing, or snowboarding.