What kind of BMX knee pads do I need?
Knee pads for action sports are kind of like tacos, you can get hard shell or soft shell. Both types of pads have some sort of Neoprene or other soft, flexible sleeve and EVA foam padding to protect the kneecap and the area surrounding it. If you’re doing BMX street riding and want to add some low-profile protection under your jeans, go with the soft shell. If you’re doing vert riding, you’ll need a hard-shell BMX knee pad. BMX dirt racers may want a combo knee/shin guard.
A hard-shell BMX knee pad
- Has an ABS plastic shell riveted or Velcroed to the front of the knee area
- Provides greater protection than a soft-shell BMX pad
- Offers more durability than a soft-shell knee pad (the ABS plastic shell won’t rip or tear no matter how many times you slide or fall on it)
A soft-shell BMX knee pad
- Will have some sort of Kevlar or other abrasion-resistant panel over the front of the knee area
- Does not provide as much impact protection as a hard-shell knee pad
- Is smaller and lighter than a hard-shell knee pad, so you can wear it under your pants
- The panel covering the knee area is not as durable as the plastic cap on the hard-shell BMX knee pad and may eventually rip or tear
How do you want to put on your BMX knee pads?
One of the things to consider before you purchase BMX knee pads is whether you want to be able to put them on without removing your shoes or not. There are two basic designs: BMX knee pads that slip on or those that close in the back (often called a butterfly closure). Slip-on knee pads slide up your leg to your knee. This design is more commonly found in soft-shell guards, less expensive knee pads, knee (or elbow) gaskets, and youth-sized pads. BMX knee pads with a butterfly closure wrap around your knee so you can put them on and take them off without removing your shoes. The butterfly closure design is typically found in hard shell knee pads and more robust and/or more expensive knee pads.
The Original Protective Gear Store
No matter your choice of knee pads for BMX biking, we stand behind every product we sell and will work together with you to get you the right protection. We offer a great selection—in stock—from brands you trust, and with no hassle returns. Complete your outfit with other BMX protective gear, like a helmet, elbow pads, padded shorts, neck brace, wrist guards and gloves. Whether you’re an experienced racer or about to hit the pedals for the first time, we're here to help.