ProTec Helmets - iconic helmets for skateboarding, BMX, dirt jumping, and longboarding
ProTec helmets have a solid reputation in the action sports world. ProTec helmets are made with one of three different kinds of liners:
- Two-stage soft foam
- stiff expanded polystyrene (EPS) foam
- surface-activated expanded polypropylene (SXP)
Each ProTec helmet liner is designed to cushion your head in the event of an impact. However, each type of Pro Tec helmet liner is best suited for a particular kind of activity. Read more about the different types of ProTec helmet liners below
.(Note that the helmet liner is the padding next to the plastic outer shell of the helmet, not the thin comfort pads that might be next to your head).
ProTec Helmet Sizing
You might notice that ProTec helmets are sized a little differently than other manufacturers. Learn how to find the right sized ProTec helmet for you
ProTec Protective Gear: wear it for skateboarding, longboarding, BMX, and snowboarding
In addition to the ProTec helmet line, ProTec extends its pledge to safety with a full line of protective gear, including ProTec knee pads, elbow pads, wrist and ankle guards, and body armor. Helping you stay safe while playing hard is what ProTec is all about. That's why many of the most respected names in action sports choose ProTec helmets and ProTec protective gear.
One of the most impressive aspects of Pro Tec's product line is its depth—the company offers protective gear for all levels of ability and usage. For instance, if you're searching for skateboard protective gear, Pro-Tec offers a variety of skate knee pads and skate elbow pads from which to choose:
- ProTec Park knee pads and elbow pads
- ProTec Street knee pads and ProTec Street elbow pads
Still have questions about your ProTec helmet? XSportsProtective has the solution!
If you’re wondering about ProTec helmet sizing, ProTec helmet certifications, or anything else about your ProTec helmet, check out the helmet learning center
for more information!
XSportsProtective staff picks for ProTec Helmets and ProTec Protective Gear
With a product line as broad as ProTec’s, it's difficult to narrow down our favorites, but we did. Our pick is the clear Pro-Tec Classic Skate Helmet - Bucky Lasek edition
. It is one of the most popular skateboard helmets we sell. Sometimes referred to as the ProTec clear helmet, the Lasek Classic skate helmet echoes the full-cut style of the ProTec Classic skate helmet but with trimmed-off ear covers.
- Soft 2-stage foam liner
- High-density polyethylene exterior shell
- Nylex lamination on 2-stage liner
- 11 open vents
ProTec Helmets: the Different ProTec Helmet Liners - Explained
Here's a guide to the different ProTec helmet liners / helmet models that you will find on our site:
- ProTec Helmets with 2-Stage Liner. ProTec’s 2-stage foam liner is light in weight, high in comfort, and available on all ProTec skateboard helmets, such as the ProTec Classic Skate Helmet, the ProTec Classic Full-Cut Skate Helmet, and the ProTec Ace Skate Helmet. Pro-Tec skateboard helmets with a 2-stage liner are designed to absorb multiple small impacts, however, they do NOT carry a specific safety certification (which is not unusual for skateboard helmets).
- ProTec Helmets with EPS Liner. Pro-Tec bike/skate helmets have either an expanded polystyrene (EPS) or surface-activated expanded polypropylene (SXP) liner. EPS foam liners are the industry standard for action sport helmets; however, they are not multi-impact. EPS liners offer greater impact protection than the 2-stage foam liner (meaning that your head will be better protected from a big impact, like a bike crash), however, they can "lose" their maximum protective abilities after sustaining a collision because the stiff foam lining condenses upon impact and does not pop back to its original shape. ProTec's EPS foam liner meets Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) standards for bicycle helmets. This liner is available on the ProTec Classic Bike/Skate, B2 Bike/Skate, and Ace Bike/Skate helmets. ProTec snowboard helmets also feature this liner.
- ProTec Helmets with SXP Liner. If you’re looking for a multi-impact helmet that you can use for both skateboarding and biking, ProTec Ace bike/skate helmets and ProTec B2 bike/skate helmets feature multi-impact SXP liners. This light but stiff liner is a good choice for aggressive active sports enthusiasts because it attempts to merge the benefits of ProTec's 2-stage liner and EPS foam liner: High-impact protection that is designed to rebound after an impact without condensing permanently, potentially allowing for protection even after an impact.
ProTec Helmets: Protection for Progression
Founded in 1973, Pro-Tec is the original action sports protective gear brand. The company's product line includes skateboard helmets and skate helmets, bike/skate helmets, mountain bike helmets, gloves, upper body armor, knee and elbow pads, shin and ankle guards, and helmet liners. No other company comes close to matching ProTec's list of achievements in protection, while never forgetting the importance of style, price and comfort. Evidence of this is ProTec’s leadership in high-performance helmets for skateboarding, biking, and snowboarding. On the outside, ProTec perfectly blends classic and contemporary styling to make the ProTec helmet one of the most iconic brands of the action sports world. Beyond the surface, ProTec "engineers in" quality materials like rugged ABS plastic shells, stainless steel hardware, soft tubular webbing strapping, and in some models multi-impact SXP liner technology, for dependable performance mile after mile.